Blogging is useful to me for several reasons:
- It forces me to think through issues.
- It prevents me forgetting what I thought when I thought through an issue.
- Its a much more effective way to communicate with others in the same field than publishing papers.
- Since I'm not climbing the academic ladder there's not much incentive for me to publish papers anyway, although I have published quite a few since I started LOCKSS.
- I've given quite a few talks too. Since I started posting the text of a talk with links to the sources it has become clear that it is much more useful to readers than posting the slides.
- I use the comments as a handy way to record relevant links, and why I thought they were relevant.